With summer’s greatest holiday behind us, we can get back to focusing exclusively on new movies. This week offers up a thriller, some horror, an inexpensive comedy and a few foreign films.
- The Lincoln Lawyer – Matthew McConaughey stars as a lawyer who operates out of his Lincoln Town Car. He is researching a murder case that just might be related to an earlier case where he convinced a man to plead guilty, even though he insisted that he was innocent.
- Insidious – James Wan and Leigh Whannell (the team behind ‘Saw’) bring us a tale of a young family whose new house just might be haunted. Their son falls and slips into a coma, but it’s not that simple. The family is about the enter the world of astral projection and demonic possession. Sounds like a fun time!
- Brother’s Justice – This mockumentary follows Dax Shepard as he attempts to become a martial arts star. This low-budget feature was written by Shepard and is a satire about some of the realities of Hollywood film production. Most of its advertising and promotion was done through social media networks.
- Miral – A young woman in Jerusalem takes in and feeds 55 orphans who are the result of the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. Six months later, she has taken in hundreds more children and the Dar Al-Tifel Institute officially began. Miral (Freida Pinto) was sent to this institution as a young girl and is asked to teach at a refugee camp once she turns 17. At this camp, she sees what the Palestinians have to suffer through. To complicate matters, she also falls in love, causing a good deal of conflict within herself.
- Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives – If you are in the mood for a Thai film that follows a dying man who flashes back to his past lives, go for it.
All of these films will be available to rent/purchase in Allentown, the Lehigh Valley and beyond.