Years from now, May 17th, 2011 may be looked back at as the day of the ‘the.’ Confused? You should be. The rationale for this impromptu and entirely unceremonious label is the ridiculous number of movies that are being released that start with the word ‘the.’ Don’t believe me? Just take a gander at the offerings.
- The Mechanic – A remake of a ’70’s Charles Bronson flick. This time around, it’s Jason Statham who is starring as the assassin with a talent for making his hits look like accidents. Ben Foster tags along, learning the tricks of the trade.
- The Rite – What happens when Sir Anthony Hopkins plays a possessed exorcist? How the heck would I know? If you’re so curious, check out this movie.
- The Other Woman – Natalie Portman stars in a drama about a young woman who loses her infant child and must also adapt to the role of wife and stepmother. Lisa Kudrow also stars as the bitter ex-wife.
- The Roommate – Wouldn’t it be fun to relive college? Well, you can if you watch this thriller starring Minka Kelly, Leighton Meester and Aly Michalka. A warning though: if your college experience didn’t involve an unhealthy obsession with another person and murder, then you might have some trouble relating.
- Daydream Nation – No, this isn’t a Sonic Youth documentary. It’s a suburban drama about a teen (Kat Dennings) who is forced to move with her father from the fast-paced city into a dull small town. Once there, she begins an inappropriate relationship with her teacher (Josh Lucas) which greatly complicates her life.
- Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!: Season Cinco – The fifth and final season of this ridiculously polarizing Adult Swim series comes to DVD. If you’re not already a fan, please keep moving.
All of these DVDs, and others will be available to rent/purchase in Allentown, the Lehigh Valley and beyond.
When J.J. Ellis isn’t writing as the Allentown DVD Examiner, his Decent Exposure Radio can be heard on the air every Friday night from 10:30 to midnight (EST) on WXLV 90.3 FM or wxlvradio.com!